Search This Blog

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Installing VS2008 C# services under Vista

There's something wrong with using a Visual Studio 2008 setup project ot install a windows service under Vista.

It's a pretty deep problem (see Alek Davis's post at http://alekdavis.blogspot.com/2007/09/deploy-windows-services-on-vista.html for details) ... and not worth the effort, in my estimation.

Just use INSTALLUTIL under the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 directory to install the service the old-fashioned way (INSTALLUTIL ) using the machine's administrator account (make sure to run INSTALLUTIL using "RunAs as Administrator" -- it doesn't seem to work if you try running it with an account with administrator privileges).

I included the Alek Davis link in case I need to actually create a service setup program in the future, here's hoping I don't.

I'm curious as to whether this problem persists in Windows 7.

This is another reason that Vista is not working out for me. If I hadn't gotten that free copy at the Microsoft Roadshow I'd have never touched it; perhaps this is why it was free.

No comments: