Search This Blog

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Forcing Tortoise/SVN to refresh icon overlays

I use Tortoise/SVN at a client site as the tool for handling source control. The client's computers are rather underpowered, unfortunately, and often the Tortoise icon overlays can get really out of date (or disappear entirely). It's hard to tell what has been committed, what's changed, etc.

The easiest way I've found to force a "refresh" on these icons is to close the Windows Explorer window and run "TSVNCache.exe" from the command prompt. Give it a chance to run and wait a while (I'm finding that it takes my client's machines about 20 seconds), then start Windows Explorer. The icons should be back and (more importantly) should correctly reflect the status of files/directories.

2 comments:

Stefan Küng said...

Running "cleanup" on a folder also forces a refresh of the status.

reyal said...

This does not work. I also tried the "Clean up" command, but still to no avail. I think, the only way to resolve this is to restart the machine...*sigh*
TortoiseSVN is turning evil these days.